The Emergency Medicine department of Civil Hospital, Ahmedabad actively participates in clinical, academic and research programs. Emergency services like cardiac resuscitation, care of critically ill and trauma patients, poisoning, disaster response and training enable this department to make a tangible differences in lives of people. Facilities such as case registration desk, triage area, resuscitation area, high dependency area, central oxygen and suction facility, critical care facilities like ventilators and multipart monitors, doctor’s room, nursing station, plaster room; diagnostic facilities such as ECG, X-Ray, portable ultrasonography, CT scan, MRI and biomedical investigations; supportive facilities such as Ambulance service, disaster preparedness and control room, fire safety, generator facilities, cold storage and postmortem room; operative facilities like four operation theatres and IITV.
The department consists of a Professor and Head, a Professor, an Associate Professor, four Assistant Professors, 6 post graduate resident doctors and 271 paramedical and non teaching staff.
Services Rendered by the department
Of multi-spectrum services of the department, few of noteworthy services rendered include:
- Well-equipped Trauma Centre providing Golden hour treatment to 150-200 critically ill patients daily.
- Round-the-clock Emergency Medical Services and laboratory services.
- Well armed imaging centre with X-Ray machines, Sonography, CT scan, MRI.
- ED provides in-hospital reception, triage, resuscitation and management of undifferentiated urgent and emergency cases until discharge from ED or transfer to the definitive care.
- Efficient and effective services delivered during natural or man-made calamities and disasters.
- Barrier free environment for persons with disabilities, senior citizens and patients of Trauma and emergency.
- Basic life support training to all Medicos and Paramedics of Civil Hospital.
- Latest simulation models for educating students of MD in EMD.
- Most advanced technologic and therapeutic modalities in EM including bedside ultrasound and advanced airway management, hemodynamic monitoring (including arterial line and central line insertion monitoring).
- High quality care for life threatening injuries.
- Services are rendered with the motto that “Every life is precious and should not get lost or get disabled for the sake of lack of access to right kind of treatment, at right time, at right place.”
- All medical specialties come under one roof for patient management rather than patient going to various places.
- Doctors are on their toes handling emergencies 24 X 7 which escalates especially during festive season.
- Emergency medical services for special situations like disasters, VVIP visits and mass casualties.
- Patient management
First Responder and their duties
- Emergency cases are attended first by EMO on duty and triage is done.
- Primary survey and resuscitation are performed as per standard guidelines and protocols by Emergency physician.
- Airway management, resuscitation, C-Spine immobilization, wound debridement and suturing, bone immobilization, vascular access, foreign body removal are performed in medical/surgical emergencies by senior resident and consultant.
- Diagnostic investigations carried out as per requirement.
- After stabilization patients are handed over to concern specialty for definitive care.
- Various emergency procedures are done in the department by faculty members and residents for better management of patients.
- Extended and specialized emergency medical care is provided during special festivities.
- Special Equipments are available and used for better emergency management of patients.
- Special emergency medical care provided for VVIP coverage whenever required.
- Emergency medicine resident during their 3 years of residency in the form of bedside teaching, grand rounds, regular case presentations, didactic lectures, discussions and simulated learning sessions on manikins. Record is maintained in log book.
- Second year residents of various clinical and non-clinical branches, interns, UG students and paramedical staff are also trained regarding various medical and surgical emergencies.
- Disaster preparedness training and Mock drills are conducted at regular interval.
- CME and seminars are held regularly.
- Foreign faculties visit our department for better development academic support as per MOU’s.